1. Of the lies mentioned in this sections, which one(s) do you most identify with?
* Everyone's kids are better than yours
* Everyone's house is cleaner than yours
* Everyone fixes better meals than you
* Everyone is more disciplined than you and way more spiritual
I would say that I believed everyone's kids are better than mine and Everyone is more disciplined than me and way more spiritual.
I work very hard to help my children in their education, yet I still compare them to where they should be and why they aren't!!! I have such a hard time motivating and the complaining gets to me. So some days I am not disciplined and say "Fine, just leave me alone." The same for spiritual. I have great ideas and we start on them, but they just get pushed aside.
I shouldn't be so hard on myself or my kids, but I am. We went through a tough year, taking care of my mom and watching her die from lung cancer. It put us behind schedule, I shouldn't care, but I do.
2. Why do you think women in particular are so prone to comparing their kids, their homes, and their spirituality against each other?
Good question. I think we are more "emotional" and tend to compare to make sure we are doing an okay job. We worry that we are "falling" short of what is expected of us. At least I am!!
I always thought it was my job to make everyone happy!!
3. Do you usually feel encouraged or discouraged after reading a homeschool magazine or book?
With the exception of this book I am reading and Heart of the Matter, usually discouraged.
I never seem to have enough time to complete what I would like to, yet everyone else seems to be doing it wonderfully. (I think that's a Homeschool lie I believe. LOL!!)
4. Why do you think that homeschooling moms feel the need to "brag" about those things that they do well or enjoy?
Because homeschooling is not all well and there is not alot to enjoy most times. When something does go well or the kids really enjoy it, I want to share to encourage!!!!
5. Are you guilty of trying to portray that you have it all together?
PPPPLease. Never... I wouldn't know where to begin!!!
6. My prayer.
Please ,dear heavenly Father, let my own confusion not pass to my children. Let kind words pass from my heart to my mouth and help me to know that I am working for you. Help me to find the best way to care for my wonderful childrens education.
The other lies is that I do believe everyone else can do it all and loves to homeschool their children, I am falling apart and feels that way.
Isn't it terrible how we "short-change" ourselves. I have had a terrible year and really need to come to grips with it. I need to let go of those feelings. It is hard when both my kids fight from the time they get up to the time they go to bed. We can't even take the dog for a walk, without a fight between the two of them. When I am excited to learn with my daughter, who is in high school, she belittles me and it hurts.
I want to keep homeschooling, but somedays I wonder if it is worth it all. Then I hear the Lord telling me to hang in there, he wishes me to do it!!!
Wow.....didn't mean to be so long!!!