Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Election Time

We are doing a study on Elections, since this is an election year.
I printed out two blank USA maps.
We titled one Democratic Primary and the other Republican Primary.
When a state holds a primary/caucus we write in the state who won.
It is teaching them to find the states, (Mom isn't very good at this and must cheat! :))
We got many books out at the library and are busy reading them.
I surprised my dh the other night, he stated that no-one has held office more than 2 times, I was so excited that I knew he was wrong. He is the one who is always correct!!
Do you know who it was???
Good for you if you did!! I didn't till I was reading with the kiddos.
It was Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He was elected president in 1932, 1936, 1940, and again in 1944.
That is why the amendment was added in 1951, a person can be elected to only two terms as president!!
Then my dh said he didn't know what the difference was between a primary and a caucus. So we learned about that!!
I love when we can connect everyday life to some lessons.

Dylan is also doing highlights "Which Way USA". He loves the puzzles. You are doing puzzles to decide who is going to be in the Which Way Hall of Fame, what object will be on display in the Which Way Museum, and where will the Which Way Supermax Movie be made?It has you do puzzles to eliminate 5 choices. It lists 6 people famous for that state. I have Dylan choose from those 6 people, 3 he would like to learn more about. I bought the states package at "homeschoolestore" and use the state sheets. I will try to upload some soon. It is just so much fun when things come together.

Today, I was feeling under the weather. We did a few subjects. Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow and we can get back on schedule.

Love ya all
Bunny

4 comments:

Donna said...

Hope you are feeling better today : )
Sounds like you guys are really using the current events of the election into your school day.

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

Great ideas! I love the way you incorporate current events into your schooling. Good job!
Let me know what you think about the test prep materials you got. I have a couple of things that were given to me to use. I don't want to overwhelm her, but I want her to be prepared.

Derby Queen said...

How's the weather up there in Gram's??? WE HAD SUCH AN AWESOME TIME!!!!!!!!!!! I WANNA GO AGAIN NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!! Katie, Mrs. C., and Kathleen say hi!! miss u already!!! Take good care of all 8 of u!! (the dogs and urself included!!)

Trina!

Freakmom said...

We have the Which Way USA books too. Violet loves them, but has noticed that it is never one of the women who get into the hall of fame. Let me know if you guys find any women who make it in. I'm thinking of complaining to Highlights...