Saturday, March 17, 2007

Making a rubber bone


Dylan took a drumstick bone from our chicken supper. Mom washed it and then we put it in a jar of vinegar. We left it in the jar for 3 days.

What does it make??? A rubber bone!!!











We had fun doing this experiment. FYI, the vinegar acts as a mild acid, but is strong enough to dissolve away the calcium in the bone. Once the calcium is dissolved, there is nothing to keep the bone hard - all that is left is the soft bone tissue.

This is a great experiment to show our kids why they must drink milk!!
I broke my wrist twice when I was younger and they told me that my drinking so much milk was the best way for me to heal my bones!! I love a nice cold glass of milk with my supper!!

Bunny

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Cool! I'll have to do this with Jack the next time we have chicken. Although, we already go through almost a gallon of milk a day.