Monday, October 23, 2006

Butterfly emerges



October 23, 2006

Here is a picture of one of our butterflies. We have a total of 9 caterpillars that have cocooned. So far two butterflies have hatched. It is so cool. They are Swallowtails. We have fun checking each day to see if any have hatched.
Both kids are sick with bad colds. Dylan took the day off on Friday. He was so sick he didn't even race in the derby!!
Katrina raced and got a 2nd and 4th place. She will tell you all about it in her blog. She was sick Sunday and today. They both did a little bit of school work today.
Finally the weather has turned cooler. Too bad the kids are sick and can't be outside enjoying it!! Oh well.

Dylan and I played a fun bingo game with nouns. It had singular, possesive, and Proper nouns. I let him use Skittles for the markers and he loved playing it! He is doing well with reading. Phonics Pathway sure is helping him out with learning the phonics of words. I am taking their advice and not doing a spelling test till he is halfway through it. I still make him write the words, do a word find, and other spelling activities, just not the test! We are plugging away at math. Today was mental math. He just doesn't get it. He asked me why he had to do mental math when he knows the answer!! Good question!!
I made them both a lapbook for Thanksgiving. It is way too cool!! It took me awhile to figure out some of the folds. I had to cut and glue alot!! But it is so awesome, I can't wait for them to start on it. I found the group through a Yahoo group. It is called Live and Learn Press. Check it out! You'll be glad you did.

Katrina is doing Saxon Algebra and doesn't like it. We haven't even really started Science. Oh well, there's always next week. She is doing well in her online course for Language Arts. Her US History online is so cool. This assignment she has to make a dictionary for every letter of the alphabet, but it must pertain to the American Revolution. They gave her 7 websites to visit. She is doing it in a cool powerpoint presentation.

I guess that's enough rambling for tonight!! Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Funky-Redhead said...

WOW! I don't know what I am most impressed by! I think, that your 13 year old is doing a power point presentation. My husband learned how to, 2 years ago, while working toward his MBA!!!

Lynn said...

The butterflies are too cool!
Congrats to Katrina on the race! I hope they're both feeling better.

Anne said...

Where do you get the butterflies? My kids would love to do that. We tend to catch bugs and spiders and keep them for a few days. I decided we would do that instead of having a pet.

There is a book on Amazon about having bugs for pets.

Can't wait to check out the Live and Learn Press. Thanks.